Bequest or Charitable Remainder
A gift through your will is one of the most effective ways to support our mission. You may wish to leave:
- a stated dollar amount
- a percentage of your residual estate (what remains after debts, expenses, taxes and specific bequests have been paid) or
- a specific asset, such as securities or other marketable property
A gift to the Chinatown Health Clinic Foundation in your will allows you to retain your assets during your lifetime. In addition, your estate, if large enough to pay estate taxes, would benefit from a charitable estate tax deduction.
A charitable remainder trust allows you to make a significant gift towards the future of the Chinatown Health Clinic Foundationís work while providing an income for yourself and family or friends.
You transfer cash, securities or other assets to a trust. The trustee invests the assets, and the trust pays income to you or to individuals you name for life or for a term of years. When the trust terminates, the Chinatown Health Clinic Foundation receives the remainder.
The trust may be a Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust (fixed payments) or a Charitable Remainder Unitrust (fixed percentage).
Benefits of a Charitable Remainder Trust
- Income for life or a term of years
- A current charitable income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution
- Capital gains tax savings if you fund the trust with appreciated assets
- Reduction in your taxable estate
- The satisfaction of making a significant gift to the Chinatown Health Clinic Foundation, helping to ensure the future of our programs
Please consult with your attorney or financial advisor to learn the benefits of charitable remainder trusts and obtain assistance with drafting the legal documents. While the Chinatown Health Clinic Foundation will not provide donors with financial or legal advice about planned giving, we can also refer you to our attorney for further information and assistance.
For more information, contact Regina Lee, J.D., chief development officer at 212-379-6988 or firstname.lastname@example.org.